Some thoughts on this cold, cold night...

Hey everyone!

It's cold here in London - though not nearly as cold as it has been back in Vancouver the last few days! Yikes!

The kettle is nearing a boil - it really is this time. I have cup 11 yet to post about - though, I am saving the entry for a few more days as I ready myself to launch somewhat of an overhaul on the website - more features, more to read, videos even! While it may not seem like much has been happening in the world of tea and strangers, I assure you I am getting ready for some exciting things. Some new strangers have been in touch, and we are working towards setting a date for tea - and some old strangers who I have been in touch with for some time now will, hopefully soon, make an appearance!

Tea in Leeds. Tea in Scotland. Tea in Portugal? Tea in Dubai! Tea in Australia!! It's all on the way friends - it's all on the way...

I've been thinking a lot about what it is I am hoping to accomplish through this adventure I have embarked on. What are my goals? What do I want to take from this personally? What do I hope that everyone who comes into contact with the stories and ideas will learn?

This morning I noticed a comment about the project on a friends blog. A negative comment.

Recently, I have been so caught up in all the positive feedback that I have been getting, that I failed to consider the potential for opposition. The truth is, there will be many people who think what I am doing is silly. When I first read this particular comment - I'll be honest, I was upset. But as I thought about it, it occurred to me that making believers out of those who do not may very well the most important part of all of this. I love meeting those people who agree with me, who believe, just like I do, that the world could do with a little bit more conversation. With that said though, I want to understand where those people, who aren't open to  the idea of being open, are coming from. If you don't wish to join me for a cup of tea and a chat, I can respect that. But if you truly don't believe that human connection through conversation has the ability to break down the social barriers in society, I have to disagree whole heartedly.

So to 'Anonymous' who posted on Becky's blog on November 22nd - if you read this, or my comment on Becky's page - feel free to get in touch. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on all of this in more detail, if you'd be willing to indulge me of course. Maybe we can even get together for a cup of tea?

I guess I just hope to prove to myself and the rest of the world that the art of conversation is still alive and well. That people are willing to embrace other people. That, while our world becomes increasingly closed off and isolated, we can fight back and share our stories and ideas. And more than all of that - that through our willingness to communicate, we can embrace new friendships, new ideas, new opportunities. Through conversation, comes inspiration. Through inspiration, comes opportunity. And through opportunity, comes change. So let's all get talking and create some positive change in the world.

Can a cup of tea change my life?

I think it already has...

Can a cup of tea change yours?

There is only one way for you to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment